westin-bali-2 westin-bali-3 westin-bali-6 westin-bali-13 westin-bali-14 westin-bali-15

Wedding Cakes

Ukraine-Marriage Requirements


Legal Requirements for Getting Married in the Ukraine

Allotted time:

Allow at least several weeks to several months from arrival in the Ukraine to your wedding date (there is an unspecified period of time—several weeks to several months prior to applying to be married/marriage license). We recommend giving yourself more time due to preparation, weekends, holidays or unexpected delays.

Necessary legal documents:

Please note that all documents must be submitted in Ukrainian or Russian. Contact the Embassy in your home country or your Embassy in the Ukraine for an authorized translator. All translated documents must be certified with an Apostille. In Ukraine contact the Ministry of Justice. In rare cases, an Apostille can take up to 20 business days to receive. If your documents are translated, be prepared to submit the original copies in your native language for verification as well as the translated version.

  • Original or certified copy of birth certificates
  • Valid Passports
  • Certificate of No Impediment*/Affidavit declaring that each party is free to marry (sworn in your resident country at the Ukrainian Embassy or your Embassy in Ukraine)
  • Deed Poll (Any change of name requires stamped and dated legal proof by a solicitor), if applicable.
  • Divorce decree or death certificate, if applicable (authenticated in your home country)
  • Some places of worship may require additional documentation. It is recommended to contact the officiant prior to leaving on your trip, if applicable

Legal requirements to get married:

  • Ceremony (Civil/Religious)

All legally recognized weddings preformed in the Ukraine are civil. The ceremony is preformed in Ukrainian. If either party does not speak Ukrainian, an interpreter should be hired. Traditional, religious, non-denominational or secular ceremonies are not legally recognized, but can proceed a civil ceremony to fulfill the desires of the bride and groom-to-be.

  • Age and Relation

The bride must be at least 17 years of age and groom must be at least 18 years of age. Parental consent is necessary if either party is underage. Note that the legal age in your home country must be met to be recognized. They cannot be related by blood.

  • Witnesses

Two witnesses over 18 years of age must be present for the ceremony and provide their passports.

  • Registry

Please note that either party, the bride-to-be or groom-to-be, must plan to stay in the city or town where you plan to marry for an unspecified period of several months prior to your planned wedding date.

Some countries are set up to offer a Certificate of No Impediment* or the like, from their home country, which can save time. You can expect a mandatory wait of 21 days prior to applying and another 21 days before obtaining your Certificate of No Impediment while Wedding Banns are posted. Take care to authenticate your Certificate of No Impediment in your home country. Note that the United States does not offer this document, but the equivalent would simply be called a Letter of Non-Impediment to Marriage or “Marriage Letter”. If a Certificate of No Impediment*/Marriage Letter has been issued from your Embassy in the Ukraine, you will need to have it authenticated from the .

Bring all documents, originals and translations to the local where you plan to marry.

Marriage certificate:

*A Certificate of No Impediment, is also known as a Single Status Affidavit, Single Status Statutory Declaration, Certificate of No Record,  a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage, Certificate of Nulla Osta or a Certificate de coutume (plus an MP2A form).

Note: This information can change at any given moment. For up-to-date information, contact your embassy in the country in which you plan to marry.

We invite you to contact us with any new information. Be sure to note, “Update Marriage Requirements in Ukraine” in the subject line.

Consular Division of the Ukrainian Ministry for Foreign Affairs 2, Velyka Zhitomirska Str, Kyiv 01018
  • Tel: +044 238 1669, 238 1815, 253 1266, 212 8392, any working day of the week except Thursday from 9:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. (accepting documents) and 4:00 p.m. – 5.30 p.m. (returning documents)
The Central Rags in Kyiv is located at 11 Prospekt Peremogy
  • Tel: +236 0071
  • Marriages to foreigners, Tel: +236 0243 or 236 0147