westin-bali-1 westin-bali-3 westin-bali-6 westin-bali-13 westin-bali-14 westin-bali-15

Wedding Cakes

Sweden-Marriage Requirements


Legal Requirements for Getting Married in Sweden

Allotted time:

Allow at least 0-21 days from arrival in Sweden to wedding date (21 day posting of Notice to Marry may be required). We recommend giving yourself more time due to preparation, weekends, holidays or unexpected delays.

Necessary legal documents:

Please note that all documents must be submitted in English or Swedish. If needed, contact your embassy for an authorized translator. All translated documents must be certified with an Apostille. If your documents are translated, be prepared to submit the original copies in your native language for verification as well as the translated version.

  • Original or certified copy of birth certificates
  • Valid Passports
  • Verification of single status (can be obtained from your Embassy in Sweden)
  • Certificate of No Impediment*/Hindersprövning/Affidavit declaring that each party is free to marry (sworn in your resident country at the Swedish Embassy or at your Embassy in Sweden, posted for 21 days prior to the wedding ceremony)
  • Certified, signed, stamped and dated copy of rules and regulations to marry in your country (within the US, contact the county clerk’s office in your resident state)
  • Certified, notarized copy of divorce decree, and corresponding marriage certificate, if applicable
  • Certified, notarized copy of death certificate, and corresponding marriage certificate to deceased spouse, if applicable
  • Armed Forces/Military Personnel: may require permission to marry from a Commanding Officer, if applicable
  • Some places of worship may require additional documentation. It is recommended to contact the officiant prior to leaving on your trip, if applicable

Legal requirements to get married:

  • Ceremony (Civil/Religious)

Civil and religious ceremonies are legally recognized weddings preformed in Sweden. The ceremony is preformed in Swedish. If either party does not speak Swedish, an interpreter should be hired.

  • Age and Relation

The bride and groom must be at least 18 years of age. Parental consent is necessary if either party is underage. Note that the legal age in your home country must be met to be recognized. They cannot be closely related by blood. Cousins can marry.

  • Witnesses

Two witnesses over 18 years of age must be present for the ceremony and provide their passports. If you don’t have a witness, some City Hall’s provide representatives that can stand as witness(es).

  • Registry

Note that in order to obtain your Certificate of No Impediment*, a Notice to Marry may need to be posted for 21 days prior to the wedding ceremony.

Bring all documents, in person, to the in the area you plan to wed. It is recommended to contact the Swedish Tax Office prior to leaving for your trip to ensure that you have all the necessary documentation.

Application for Marriage License, valid for 4 months.

Choose and confirm your venue and marriage officer several weeks prior to the ceremony.

Marriage certificate:

*A Certificate of No Impediment, is also known as a Single Status Affidavit, Single Status Statutory Declaration, Certificate of No Record, Record of No Record, a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage, Certificate of Nulla Osta or a Certificate de coutume (plus an MP2A form).

Note: This information can change at any given moment. For up-to-date information, contact your embassy in the country you plan to marry.

  • Tel: +0771 567 567 (from within Sweden)
  • Tel: +46 8 564 851 60 (from overseas)