westin-bali-2 westin-bali-3 westin-bali-6 westin-bali-13 westin-bali-14 westin-bali-15

Wedding Cakes

Spain-Marriage Requirements


Legal Requirements for Getting Married in Spain

Allotted time:

Allow at least 0-21 days from arrival in Spain to wedding date (21 day requirement to post a Notice to Marry for some countries, obtained in resident country or Spain). We recommend giving yourself more time due to preparation, weekends, holidays or unexpected delays.

Necessary legal documents:

Please note that all documents must be submitted in Spanish. Contact your embassy or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Spain  for a list of authorized translators. All translated documents must be certified with an Apostille . If your documents are translated, be prepared to submit the original copies in your native language for verification as well as the translated version.

Please note that documentation requirements vary within the regions of Spain. We recommend contacting the Civil Registry Office in the area you plan to wed in Spain prior to contacting your Embassy in your home country or leaving on your trip.

  • Certified copy of birth certificates, issued within the past 3 months
  • Valid Passports
  • Town Hall Registration Certificate/ Certificado de Empadronamiento/ Padrón Certificate:

If either party is a resident of Spain: proof of domicile

If either party is a resident of a Foreign Country: proof of each place of residence (tax returns, utility bills) or affidavit declaring your residency for the past 2 years and temporary residence in Spain (sworn at your Embassy in Spain)

  • Consular Registration Certificate (contact your resident Embassy in Spain to register, note: UK citizens would register with LOCATE)
  • Certificate of Nationality (contact the Spanish Embassy in your home country or your Embassy in Spain)
  • Certificate of Civil Status/ Certificado de Estado Civil/Verification of single status (contact your Embassy in Spain: an example of the certificate
  • Certificate of No Impediment*/Affidavit declaring that each party is free to marry (obtained/sworn in your resident country at the Spanish Embassy or your Embassy in Spain: an example of the certificate
  • Home Office Registration/Naturalisation Certificate (contact your Embassy)
  • Deed Poll (Any change of name requires stamped and dated legal proof by a solicitor), if applicable.
  • Divorce decree and corresponding marriage certificate to former spouse, if applicable
  • Death certificate and corresponding marriage certificate to the deceased spouse , if applicable
  • Some places of worship may require additional documentation. It is recommended to contact the officiator prior to leaving on your trip, if applicable

Legal requirements to get married:

  • Ceremony (Civil/Religious)

Civil and religious ceremonies are legally recognized weddings preformed in Spain. The ceremony is preformed in Spanish. If either party does not speak Spanish, an interpreter should be hired.

  • Age and Relation

The bride and groom must be at least 16 years of age. Parental consent is necessary if either party is underage. Note that the legal age in your home country must be met to be recognized. The bride and groom cannot be related by blood or adoption.

  • Witnesses

Two witnesses over 16 years of age must be present for the ceremony and provide their passports.

  • Registry

Note that a Certificate of No Impediment* can be obtained from your Embassy. You may need to post Notice to Marry in your resident country or Spain (i.e. UK citizens are required to post notice for 21 days in the UK or Spain).

Bring all documents, in person, to the local Civil Registry where you plan to marry.

Marriage certificate:

  • If a religious ceremony is chosen, talk to your officiator prior to the ceremony as both civil and religious weddings must be filed with the Civil Registrar. Some officiators will take care of this for you and some will provide the necessary documentation for you to file.

*A Certificate of No Impediment, is also known as a Single Status Affidavit, Single Status Statutory Declaration, Certificate of No Record,  a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage, Certificate of Nulla Osta or a Certificate de coutume (plus an MP2A form).

Note: This information can change at any given moment. For up-to-date information, contact your embassy in the country in which you plan to marry.

We invite you to contact us with any new information. Be sure to note, “Update Marriage Requirements in Spain” in the subject line.