westin-bali-1 westin-bali-2 westin-bali-8 westin-bali-13 westin-bali-14 westin-bali-15

Wedding Cakes

Poland-Marriage Requirements


Legal Requirements for Getting Married in Poland

Allotted time:

Allow at least 30 days from arrival in Poland to wedding date (30 days from registering your marriage to the wedding date-additional time to post wedding banns in your home country or Poland stay could apply as well). We recommend giving yourself more time due to preparation, weekends, holidays or unexpected delays.

Necessary legal documents:

Please note that all documents must be submitted in Polish. Contact the Embassy in your home country or your Embassy in Poland for an authorized translator. All translated documents must be certified with and apostille stamp. If your documents are translated, be prepared to submit the original copies in your native language for verification as well as the translated version.

  • Original or certified copy of birth certificates
  • Valid Passports
  • Zapewnienie/Certificate of No Impediment*/Affidavit declaring that each party is free to marry (obtained from the Polish Embassy in your resident country or your Embassy in Poland. US Citizens will need a release in English and Polish to petition the Regional Court)
  • Divorce decree or death certificates, if applicable
  • Some places of worship may require additional documentation. It is recommended to contact the officiant prior to leaving on your trip, if applicable

Legal requirements to get married:

  • Ceremony (Civil/Religious)

Religious and civil ceremonies are legally recognized weddings preformed in Poland. The ceremony is preformed in Polish. If either party does not speak Polish, an interpreter should be hired. A Concordat ceremony combines a Roman Catholic ceremony and a civil ceremony.

  • Age and Relation

The bride must be at least 18 years of age and groom must be at least 21 years of age. Parental consent is necessary if either party is underage. Note that the legal age in your home country must be met to be recognized. They cannot be related by blood, marriage or adoption.

  • Witnesses

Two witnesses over 18 years of age must be present for the ceremony and provide their passports.

  • Registry

Wedding banns must be posted for 21 days prior to receiving a Certificate of No Impediment*.  This can be taken care of in your resident country or your Embassy in Poland.

Bring all documents to the local Registrar’s Office (USC). Be prepared to wait one month from the date of registering to the wedding ceremony.

US citizens should register at the same time that they petition the Regional Court to waive the Certificate of No Impediment. This process can take several weeks or months. If neither party speaks Polish, you will need to hire an interpreter. For additional information, contact the US Embassy in Poland . Note: A wedding in the countryside, thus petitioning the court in the countryside, could shorten the time it takes to process this request.

*A Certificate of No Impediment, is also known as a Single Status Affidavit, Single Status Statutory Declaration, Certificate of No Record,  a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage, Certificate of Nulla Osta or a Certificate de coutume (plus an MP2A form).

Note: This information can change at any given moment. For up-to-date information, contact your embassy in the country in which you plan to marry.

We invite you to contact us with any new information. Be sure to note, “Update Marriage Requirements in Poland” in the subject line.