Legal Requirements for Getting Married in Jamaica
Allow at least 24 hours from arrival in Jamaica to wedding date (24 hour stay in Jamaica is the only requirement prior to your wedding ceremony, if you are prepared. Note that being prepared requires submitting paperwork 4 weeks in advance of your trip). We recommend giving yourself more time due to preparation, weekends, holidays or unexpected delays.
Necessary legal documents:
Please note that all documents must be submitted in English. Contact the Embassy in your home country or your Embassy in Jamaica for authorized translators. Prepare to bring English and original copies in your native language with you on your trip.
- Original or certified copy of birth certificates (father’s name must be stated)
- Valid Passports
- Divorce decree or death certificates, if applicable
Legal requirements to get married:
- Ceremony (Civil/Religious)
Civil and religious ceremonies are legally recognized weddings preformed in Jamaica.
- Age and Relation
The bride and groom must be at least 18 years of age. If underage, parental consent is required. They cannot be related by blood, marriage or adoption.
Two witnesses over 18 years of age must be present for the ceremony and provide their passports.
Take all paperwork to the . The couple will be applying for a Marriage License which can take up to 4 weeks to process. Each party must state their full names, as well as the full names of their mother and father.
The bride and groom-to-be must stay in Jamaica for 24 hours prior to the wedding ceremony.
- The bride and groom will sign all the required documents at the ceremony. The bride and groom will be given the Certificate of Marriage from the religious officiate of their choice.
- You can request a Certificate of Marriage online from the Registrar.
Note: This information can change at any given moment. For up-to-date information, contact your embassy in the country in which you plan to marry.
We invite you to contact us with any new information. Be sure to note, “Update Marriage Requirements in Jamaica” in the subject line.
Mutual Life Building, 2 Oxford Road, Kingston 5, Jamaica
- Tel: +876 906 4908
- Office Hours: Monday to Thursday 9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.