westin-bali-1 westin-bali-3 westin-bali-6 westin-bali-13 westin-bali-14 westin-bali-15

Wedding Cakes

Greece-Marriage Requirements


Legal Requirements for Getting Married in Greece

Allotted time:

Allow more than 7 days from arrival in Greece to wedding date (7 days to issue marriage license, plus wedding banns and application to marry will take additional days). We recommend giving yourself more time due to preparation, weekends, holidays or unexpected delays.

Necessary legal documents:

Please note that all documents must be submitted in Greek. Contact the Embassy in your home country or your Embassy in Greece for an authorized translator. All translated documents must be certified with an apostille stamp. If your documents are translated, be prepared to submit the original copies in your native language as well as the translated version.

  • Certified copy of birth certificates
  • Valid Passports
  • Certificate of No Impediment*/Affidavit declaring that each party is free to marry (obtained from your Embassy or Registrar’s Office, issued within the past 3 months)
  • Deed Poll (Any change of name requires stamped and dated legal proof by a solicitor), if applicable.
  • Divorce decree or death certificates, if applicable
  • Some places of worship may require additional documentation. It is recommended to contact the officiant prior to leaving on your trip, if applicable

Legal requirements to get married:

  • Ceremony (Civil/Religious)

Civil and religious ceremonies are legally recognized weddings preformed in Greece. The ceremony is may be preformed in Greek. If either party does not speak Greek, an interpreter should be hired.

  • Age and Relation

The bride and groom must be at least 18 years of age. Parental consent is necessary if either party is underage. Note that the legal age in your home country must be met to be recognized. They cannot be related by blood, marriage or adoption.

  • Witnesses

Two witnesses over 18 years of age must be present for the ceremony and provide their passports.

  • Registry

Note that if both parties are foreigners, in some cases, the Marriage License can be obtained prior to travel from the couple’s resident country. Check with your Embassy and/or Wedding Planner.

Wedding Banns must be published in a local paper or City Hall (Dimarchio) prior to applying for a Marriage License.

Bring all documents to the City Hall (Dimarchio) or to the President of the Community in Greece (Proedros Kinotitos). Here you will apply for a Marriage License, which can take 7 days to issue. Upon issue, it is valid for 6 months.

Next, the couple will submit an Application to Marry with the Mayor or President of the Community in Greece in the area they plan to wed. At this time, the wedding date can be set.

Marriage certificate:

  • Following the ceremony, the newlyweds must register the marriage at the local Registrar’s Office (Lixiarchio) and obtain a Marriage Certificate. Take the Marriage Certificate to the Prefecture Office (Nomarhia) for an Apostille.

*A Certificate of No Impediment, is also known as a Single Status Affidavit, Single Status Statutory Declaration, Certificate of No Record,  a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage, Certificate of Nulla Osta or a Certificate de coutume (plus an MP2A form).

Note: This information can change at any given moment. For up-to-date information, contact your embassy in the country in which you plan to marry.

We invite you to contact us with any new information. Be sure to note, “Update Marriage Requirements in Greece” in the subject line.