westin-bali-1 westin-bali-2 westin-bali-3 westin-bali-6 westin-bali-8 westin-bali-14

Wedding Cakes

Finland-Marriage Requirements


Legal Requirements for Getting Married in Finland

Allotted time:

Allow at least 7 days from arrival in Finland to wedding date (7 days or less to file the paperwork and obtain a Certificate of the Examination of Impediments to Marriage). We recommend giving yourself more time due to preparation, weekends, holidays or unexpected delays.

Necessary legal documents:

  • Original or certified copy of birth certificates
  • Valid Passports
  • Certificate of No Impediment*/Affidavit declaring that each party is free to marry (contact your embassy)
  • Divorce decree or death certificates, if applicable
  • Some places of worship may require additional documentation. It is recommended to contact the officiant prior to leaving on your trip, if applicable

Legal requirements to get married:

  • Ceremony (Civil/Religious)

Civil and religious ceremonies are legally recognized weddings preformed in Finland.

  • Age and Relation

The bride must and groom must be at least 18 years of age. Consult the Ministry of Justice for permission to marry if either party is underage. Note that the legal age in your home country must be met to be recognized.  The couple cannot be closely related by blood, marriage or adoption.

  • Witnesses

Two witnesses over 18 years of age must be present for the ceremony and provide their passports.

  • Registry

Bring all documents to the local Registrar’s Office (Maistraatti). They will supply you with additional forms to complete in order to satisfy any possible impediment to marriage. These papers can take up to 7 days to process. Once everything looks to be in order, a Certificate of the Examination of Impediments to Marriage will be issued, valid for the following 4 months.

If the couple belongs to the Evangelical-Lutheran or Greek-Orthodox Church, the parish can conduct this examination into any possible impediments to your marriage. Contact and consult your officiant.

Be prepared to let the Registrar’s Office or your officiator know what surnames you and your spouse plan to use once married, prior to the ceremony.

*A Certificate of No Impediment, is also known as a Single Status Affidavit, Single Status Statutory Declaration, Certificate of No Record,  a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage, Certificate of Nulla Osta or a Certificate de coutume (plus an MP2A form).

Note: This information can change at any given moment. For up-to-date information, contact your embassy in the country in which you plan to marry.

We invite you to contact us with any new information. Be sure to note, “Update Marriage Requirements in Finland” in the subject line.