Legal Requirements for Getting Married in the Cayman Islands
Allow a few days from arrival in the Cayman Islands to wedding date for processing paperwork. We recommend giving yourself more time due to weekends, holidays or unexpected delays.
Necessary legal documents:
- Original or certified copy of birth certificates or valid passports
- International embarkation/disembarkation card (from air travel) or boarding pass (from sea travel)
- Original or certified copy of divorce decree or death certificates, if applicable
Legal requirements to get married:
- Ceremony (Civil/Religious)
Civil and religious ceremonies are legally recognized weddings preformed in the Cayman Islands.
- Age and Relation
The bride and groom must be at least 18 years of age. If either party is underage, parental consent is necessary. With parental consent, the party must be at least 16 years of age. Note that the legal age in your home country must be met to be recognized. For example, the United States requires that both parties be 18 years of age for your marriage to be recognized upon your return to the United States. They cannot be related by blood, marriage or adoption.
Two witnesses over 18 years of age must be present for the ceremony and provide their passports.
The first step is to decide on your Marriage Officer and schedule a date for the ceremony.
Next, take all paperwork to the on Grand Cayman or to the on Cayman Brac and Little Cayman. The application will ask for your names, signatures, occupations, current resident address, and the name of your marriage officer.
If all paperwork is complete, a Marriage License will be issued. The marriage license is valid for 3 months. The chosen marriage officer is required to request this license prior to performing the ceremony.
- The bride and groom will sign all the required documents at the ceremony. The bride and groom will be given the Certificate of Marriage from the marriage officer of their choice. A duplicate will be filed, by the marriage officer, with the .
- Please note that all wedding ceremonies must be conducted between the hours of 6 am and 8 pm. Live music in establishments with liquor licenses are not permitted on Sundays.
Note: This information can change at any given moment. For up-to-date information, contact your embassy in the country in which you plan to marry.
We invite you to contact us with any new information. Be sure to note, “Update Marriage Requirements in Cayman Islands” in the subject line.
- Tel: +345 943 7678