westin-bali-6 westin-bali-8 westin-bali-15 westin-bali-1 westin-bali-2 westin-bali-13

Wedding Cakes

Cambodia-Marriage Requirements


Legal Require­ments for Get­ting Mar­ried in Cambodia

Allot­ted time:

Allow at least 31–52 days from arrival in Cam­bo­dia to wed­ding date to process paper­work (21 days of res­i­dency, 10 days before a wed­ding cer­e­mony can pro­ceed and an addi­tional 3 weeks to post Inten­tion to Marry, unless a Cer­tifi­cate of No Imped­i­ment has been obtained pre­vi­ously in your home coun­try). We rec­om­mend giv­ing your­self more time due to prepa­ra­tion, week­ends, hol­i­days or unex­pected delays.

Nec­es­sary legal documents:

Please note that all doc­u­ments must be sub­mit­ted in Cam­bo­dian (Khmer) or Eng­lish. Con­tact the Embassy in your home coun­try or your Embassy in Cam­bo­dia for an autho­rized trans­la­tor.  If your doc­u­ments are trans­lated, be pre­pared to sub­mit the orig­i­nal copies in your native lan­guage for ver­i­fi­ca­tion as well as the trans­lated version.

  • Cer­ti­fied copy of birth certificates
  • Valid Pass­ports and cer­ti­fied copies (obtained from your Embassy in Cam­bo­dia or the Cam­bo­dian Embassy in your res­i­dent country)
  • Visas and photocopies
  • Cer­tifi­cate of No Impediment*/Affidavit of Sin­gle Status
  • Affi­davit of Mar­riage (sworn at the Civil Reg­istry Office in Cam­bo­dia before the Con­sol or Vice-Consol)
  • Crim­i­nal Records
  • Cer­tifi­cate on Pro­fes­sion (show­ing monthly income)
  • Divorce or death cer­tifi­cates, if applicable
  • Med­ical Cer­tifi­cate from Cal­mette Hos­pi­tal in Phnom Penh
  • Mar­riage Appli­ca­tion Form (a sim­i­lar form exists for two for­eign­ers apply­ing for mar­riage in Cam­bo­dia): A writ­ten request for mar­riage appli­ca­tions must be sent to the . You will need to know the area or province that you plan to marry. The appli­ca­tion lists sup­port­ing doc­u­ments that must be attached to the appli­ca­tion. Some of these doc­u­ments may need to be legal­ized at the couple’s Embassy in Cam­bo­dia or prior to leav­ing at the Cam­bo­dian Embassy in your res­i­dent coun­try. Upon approval of the bride and groom’s appli­ca­tion, the appli­ca­tion must then be sub­mit­ted to the Civil Registrar.

Legal require­ments to get mar­ried:

  • Cer­e­mony (Civil/Religious)

Civil and reli­gious wed­dings are legally rec­og­nized wed­dings pre­formed in Cam­bo­dia. The cer­e­mony is pre­formed in Cam­bo­dian. If either party does not speak Cam­bo­dian,
an inter­preter should be hired.

  • Age and Relation

The bride must be at least 18 years of age. The groom must be at least 20 years of age. They can­not be related by blood, mar­riage or adoption.

Note: Male US Cit­i­zens plan­ning to marry a Cam­bo­dian woman must be no older than 50 years of age with a monthly income that gen­er­ates a min­i­mum of USD $2,500.

  • Wit­nesses

Two wit­nesses over 18 years of age must be present for the cer­e­mony and pro­vide their passports.

  • Reg­istry

Both par­ties must stay within the dis­trict of their Embassy or Con­sulate in Cam­bo­dia for 21 days prior to fil­ing a Notice of Inten­tion to Marry. We rec­om­mend mak­ing an appoint­ment in advance with the Con­sol or Vice-Consol, to be assured that you can deliver, in per­son, your oath of inten­tion to marry upon the com­ple­tion of your 21 day res­i­dency (this does not include the day you arrived).

Note: Take all paper­work and pho­to­copies of each to your Embassy and Civil Reg­istry Office in Cambodia.

At least 10 days prior to the wed­ding and 21 full days since your arrival in Cam­bo­dia, you will need to file your Notice of Inten­tion to Marry with the Civil Reg­istry Office. You will need to know where you will marry and who you plan to use as your mar­riage offi­cer. Here, you will also com­plete and sign an Affi­davit of Mar­riage.

Finally the Notice of Inten­tion to Marry will be posted, at the Con­sulate, for 3 weeks. Pend­ing objec­tions, your Embassy can pro­vide you with a Let­ter of No Imped­i­ment to Mar­riage. Bride and groom will show pass­ports and/or divorce or death certificates.

British Cit­i­zens can shorten their wait­ing period by apply­ing for a Super­in­ten­dent Cer­tifi­cate of No Imped­i­ment prior to leav­ing for Cam­bo­dia. You would apply at the Reg­is­trar in your res­i­dent dis­trict of the United Kingdom.

Mar­riage certificate:

  • Wed­dings must be reg­is­tered with the Civil Reg­istry Office in order to be rec­og­nized. Offi­cers can come to your wed­ding to sign doc­u­men­ta­tion. The new­ly­weds will give their thumbprints to reg­is­ter and receive their Mar­riage Certificate.
  • Mar­riage Cer­tifi­cates are issued from the Cheif of Com­mune, from the region in which the wed­ding cer­e­mony takes place.

*A Cer­tifi­cate of No Imped­i­ment, is also known as a Sin­gle Sta­tus Affi­davit, Sin­gle Sta­tus Statu­tory Dec­la­ra­tion, Cer­tifi­cate of No Record,  a Cer­tifi­cate of Legal Capac­ity to Con­tract Mar­riage, Cer­tifi­cate of Nulla Osta or a Cer­tifi­cate de cou­tume (plus an MP2A form).

Note: This infor­ma­tion can change at any given moment. For up-to-date infor­ma­tion, con­tact your embassy in the coun­try in which you plan to marry.

We invite you to con­tact us with any new infor­ma­tion. Be sure to note, “Update Mar­riage Require­ments in Cam­bo­dia” in the sub­ject line.

Min­istry of For­eign Affairs and Inter­na­tional Coop­er­a­tion, 3 Samdech Hun Sen Street, Sangkat Tonle Basac, Khan Chamkamorn, Phnom Penh, Cambodia