Legal Requirements for Getting Married in Belize
- Certified copy of birth certificates (must include father’s name)
- Valid Passports and photocopies of photo page and page with dated entry stamp
- Application for a Marriage License (available online or in Belize)
- Divorce decree or death certificates, if applicable
Legal requirements to get married:
- Ceremony (Civil/Religious)
Civil and religious ceremonies are legally recognized weddings preformed in Belize.
- Age and Relation
The bride and groom must be at least 18 years of age. They cannot be related by blood, marriage or adoption.
Two witnesses must be present for the ceremony and provide their passports.
The couple must stay in Belize for 3 days prior to submitting paperwork.
An Application for a Marriage License can be obtained online or from the in Belize City.
Once submitted it can take a week to process the marriage license application. This can be expedited (within 24 hours) for an increased cost.
- The marriage must be registered with the Belize Registry Department, preceding the wedding ceremony.
Note: This information can change at any given moment. For up-to-date information, contact your embassy in the country in which you plan to marry.
We invite you to contact us with any new information. Be sure to note, “Update Marriage Requirements in Belize” in the subject line.