westin-bali-1 westin-bali-2 westin-bali-3 westin-bali-6 westin-bali-13 westin-bali-14

Wedding Cakes

Alberta-Marriage Requirements


Legal Requirement for Getting Married in Alberta, Canada

Allotted time:

Allow a few days from arrival in Alberta to wedding date to process paperwork. We recommend giving yourself more time due to preparation, weekends, holidays or unexpected delays.

Necessary legal documents:

Please note that all documents must be submitted in English. Contact the Embassy in your home country or the Embassy in Canada for an authorized translator. If your documents are translated, be prepared to submit the original copies in your native language for verification as well as the translated version.

  • Valid Passports
  • Divorce decree or death certificates, if applicable

Legal requirements to get married:

  • Ceremony (Civil/Religious)

All legally recognized weddings preformed in Alberta must be registered with the Vital Statistics Office. The ceremony can be traditional, religious, non-denominational or secular. A Registry Agent and certified officiate of the couple’s choosing will provide all paperwork for local government records.

The ceremony is preformed in English. If either party does not speak English, an interpreter should be hired.

  • Age and Relation

The bride and groom must be at least 18 years of age. If they are underage, parental consent is necessary. With parental consent, both parties must be at least 16 years of age. Note that the legal age in your home country must be met to be recognized. For example, the United States requires that both parties be 18 years of age for your marriage to be recognized upon your return to the United States. The bride and groom cannot be related by blood or adoption.

  • Witnesses

Two witnesses over 18 years of age must be present for the ceremony and provide identification.

  • Registry

A Registry Agent will provide two documents: a Marriage License and a Registration of Marriage.

To apply for a Marriage License, take all paperwork to a Registry Agent. Both parties must register in person, free of any drug/alcohol influences. The couple will need to provide your parent’s full names and birth places. If either party is not fluent in English or deaf, a translator must be provided by the couple. Some registry agent’s are bilingual and can be used as an interpreter. Keep in mind that the marriage license is only valid for 3 months within Alberta.

The bride-to-be and groom-to-be must be free of any drug/alcohol influences on the day of the wedding ceremony.

The couple’s chosen officiate will require the Marriage License and Registration of Marriage prior to the wedding ceremony. During the ceremony, the Registration of Marriage form will be filled out and signed.

The officiate will keep the Marriage License for their records and file the Registration of Marriage with the Alberta Vital Statistics Office within two days of the ceremony. The couple will be given a Marriage Statement at the ceremony as proof of marriage until the Marriage Certificate has been issued.

Marriage certificate:

  • The information provided on the Registration of Marriage will be used to create the Marriage Certificate for the couple.

Note: This information can change at any given moment. For up-to-date information, contact your embassy in the country in which you plan to marry.

We invite you to contact us with any new information. Be sure to note, “Update Marriage Requirements in Alberta, Canada” in the subject line.